Updated: Oct 13, 2010
Major IGCP Project 474 conference, 2006
IGCP Project 474 will be a sponsor of the forthcoming conference during 2006:
12th International Symposium on "Deep Seismic Profiling of the Continents and Their Margins"
Hosted by the Earthquake Research Institute, University of Tokyo
Shonan Village Center, Hayama, near Tokyo, Japan.
The symposium, partly sponsored by JSPS and IGCP 474
24-29 September, 2006
The format of the meeting will follow that of previous deep seismic profiling meetings and aim to highlight the 3-dimensional nature of imaging the Earth's interior using a variety of seismic methods.
The focus of the scientific program will be studies of the Earth's crust and lithosphere using seismic reflection, refraction and teleseismic methods, and integration of these studies with other geophysical techniques and geological data.? Because of the strong interest by Japanese earth scientists in disastrous earthquakes which occur in and around the Japanese islands, we add two sessions on "Subduction structures of mega-thrust zones" and "Seismic investigations for disastrous earthquake areas".
Session topics will include:
- Active continental margins
- Intra-continental collision and accretion
- Continental rifts and basins
- Passive continental margins
- Integrated multidisciplinary case studies
- The continental mantle
- Numerical modelling of heterogeneity and anisotropy
- Innovative seismic acquisition and processing techniques
- Crustal seismic investigations and mineral resources
- Subduction structures of mega-thrust zones
- Seismic investigations for disastrous earthquake areas